I Want My Hat Back
Bear’s hat is gone. None of the animals say they’ve seen it. He is starting to become despondent, until his memory is sparked by a deer who asks just the right question.
I Want My Hat Back is based on the book by Jon Klassen. The film was adapted, directed, and animated by Galen Fott. The musical score was composed and performed by Scotty Huff. The film is a co-production of Bigfott Studios and Weston Woods Studios. Producers are Melissa R. Ellard, Galen Fott, and Paul R. Gagne. Running time is 8:54.
VOICE CAST (in order of speaking):
Bear — Daniel Pinkwater
Fox — Kirby Heyborne
Frog — Paul R. Gagne
Rabbit — Galen Fott
Turtle — Johnny Heller
Snake — Priscilla Holbrook
Animal — Al Pereira
Deer — Jon Klassen
Squirrel — Elizabeth Morton
To purchase the film on the Scholastic Storybook Treasures DVD I Want My Hat Back, click here.
To purchase the film on the Scholastic Storybook Treasures DVD 20 Animal Tales, click here.
To visit Weston Woods’ I Want My Hat Back page where you can order the film on DVD, click here.
To visit Jon Klassen’s website, click here.
To visit director/animator Galen Fott’s personal website, click here.
To visit voice actor Daniel Pinkwater’s website, click here.
To visit composer Scotty Huff’s website, click here.
AWARDS AND SCREENINGS
• Chicago International Children’s Film Festival — Second Prize, Children’s Jury, Best Animated Short Film
• San Francisco International Film Festival — Golden Gate Award Nominee
• New York International Children's Film Festival
• Boston International Children's Film Festival
• Philadelphia International Children's Film Festival
• Toronto International Film Festival
• London International Animation Festival
• Melbourne International Animation Festival
• Sydney Film Festival
• New Zealand International Film Festival
• Singapore International Children's Film Festival
• Milwaukee Film Festival
• Boulder International Film Festival
• Washington Heights Children & Young People's Film Festival
• Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
• Traverse City Film Festival
• Big Eddy Film Festival
• ALA/ALSC Notable Children's Video
• ALA/ALSC Notable Children's Recording
• AudioFile Earphones Award Winner
• The Belcourt Theatre, Nashville TN
• Belmont World Film, Belmont MA
• KidFilm, Dallas TX
• Flathead Lake International Cinemafest, Polson MT
REVIEWS AND PRAISE
“Simple animation and charming music bring this delightful story to life. Highly recommended!” — Midwest Book Review
“Daniel Pinkwater expertly expresses the bear’s emotions, and the production’s spot-on pacing and twangy background music turn this seemingly simple story into a memorable one about honesty. The tone, narration, music, and light-handed animation all come together to create a well-done adaptation of the original tale.” — Anne Bozievich, School Library Journal
“The animation in ‘I Want My Hat Back’ really captures the spirit of the book.” — Cynthia K. Ritter, The Horn Book
"The simple drawings, gently animated, keep step with the toe-tapping music. Narrated by a full cast, including Daniel Pinkwater as Bear, this video enhances the 2012 Geisel Honor Book by Jon Klassen." — ALA/ALSC committee
“The original and genuine response of each creature is a credit to the multiple narrators. Tone, speed, and inflection are used to provide distinctive personalities for the turtle, frog, snake, and rabbit.” — Ann Ritchie, AudioFile Magazine
“A variety of voices (including Daniel Pinkwater as Bear) enliven the simple text, and kids will giggle at Bear’s search and wonder about the rabbit’s whereabouts.” — Candace Smith, Booklist
“Recommended.” — J. Williams-Wood, Video Librarian
Images from the film I Want My Hat Back Copyright © 2013 Bigfott Studios and Weston Woods Studios, Inc.
I Want My Hat Back book text and illustrations Copyright © 2011 by Jon Klassen